One of the greatest battles we must fight as leaders and ministers of the gospel of Jesus Christ is discouragement. It can hang on us like a winter cloud, depleting us of our joy and robbing us of the confidence we need to lead others. We have no burden for revival and awakening when our eyes have been taken off the sufficiency of Christ.
When we are in Christ, we experience an abundance of extraordinary results. In days of revival, we see these things more fully, and the joy of Christ overflows to others.
Look at what is ours as followers of Jesus, as Paul describes in one chapter, Romans 8. Read through the following daily for the next five days and see what it will do to your soul as you equip yourself to lead others to a revived relationship with Him!
- We are no longer under any condemnation (v. 1).
- We are set free from the law of sin and death (v. 2).
- Christ did something for us we could not do, condemning sin in His flesh on our behalf (v. 3).
- We can fulfill the law as we walk according to the Spirit (we never had the ability to do this before) (v. 4).
- Our minds are set/directed/focused to the things of the Spirit, and we have the capacity to think in a new realm (v. 5).
- We now have life and peace instead of death (v. 6).
- Our mind is no longer hostile toward God (v. 7).
- We can please God (v. 8).
- We belong to Him (v. 9).
- Our spirit is alive because of righteousness (v. 10).
- His Spirit gives life to our mortal bodies (v. 11).
- We are under obligation to live by the Spirit, not according to the humanistic flesh (this is a wonderful pressure and can be fulfilled because the Spirit is in us!) (v. 12).
- We live (v. 13)!
- We are led by the Spirit (v. 14).
- We are sons of God (v. 14).
- We have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear (v. 15).
- We have received a spirit of adoptions as sons, by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” (v. 15).
- The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God (v. 16).
- Because we are children, we are heirs with God and fellow heirs with Christ (v. 17).
- The sufferings of this present time cannot compare to the glory that will be revealed to us (v. 18).
- Our bodies will be soon be completely redeemed (v. 23).
- We have hope (v. 24).
- The Spirit helps our weakness by praying for us, and He does this perfectly because He intercedes for us according to the will of God (v. 27).
- God causes all things to work together for good as we are loving Him and called according to His purpose (v. 28).
- We have a glorious purpose—to become conformed to the image of His Son (v. 29).
- He has foreknown, predestined, called, justified, and glorified us (v. 30)!
- God is for us (so who can possibly stand against us?) (v. 31)!
- He did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us (v. 32).
- He will freely give us all things (v. 32).
- We can have no charges brought against us, because we have already been justified by the ultimate Judge (v. 33).
- We cannot be condemned, because Jesus died, was raised, and intercedes for us (v. 34).
- We will NEVER be separated from the love of Christ (v. 35)!
- Tribulation will not separate us from Christ’s love (v. 35).
- Distress will not separate us (v. 35).
- Persecution will not separate us (v. 35).
- Famine will not separate us (v. 35).
- Nakedness will not separate us (v. 35).
- Peril will not separate us (v. 35).
- The sword will not separate us (v. 35).
- We overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loves us, even when persecuted all day long (v. 37).
- Death will not separate us (v. 38).
- Life will not separate us (v. 38).
- Angels will not separate us (v. 38).
- Principalities will not separate us (v. 38).
- Things present will not separate us (v. 38).
- Things to come will not separate us (v. 38).
- Powers will not separate us (v. 38).
- Height will not separate us (v. 39).
- Depth will not separate us (v. 39).
- No created thing will separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord (v. 39).
Lift up your head, discouraged child,
And gaze at God’s dear Son.
You’re saved and cleansed—condemned no more,
Because of what He’s done!
His Spirit’s taken residence
Within your very heart!
You are His child, adopted now—
You have the choicest part!
He prays for you with groanings deep;
He works on your behalf.
And nothing that this life will bring
Can keep you from His path.
No height, nor depth, nor evil work
Can change His mind above.
You’re joined to Him in life and death
By cords of perfect love!
Oh, praise the Father, praise the Son,
And praise the Spirit too;
And praise Him for the matchless work—
The sure, unchanging, lasting work—
That He has done in you!